Friday, 22 March 2013

Lego Centers in Kindergarten

What a wonderful week of working with Lego!

We had so much happening! Designing minifigures, making minifigure masks, building all sorts of creations and even using Lego at our math centres.

Here is a picture of students using a Lego page to create patterns.


I made up picture cards for students to use as a template for creating numbers!  They really enjoyed this activity. I also created these Lego picture cards for the alphabet and we used these in our morning literacy centers.

This picture shows our measuring with Lego page.  At this center students measured a variety of common classroom items with Lego and recorded their findings on the page.

Here is the estimating page.  I laminated these to be used with dry erase markers. Students estimate how many pieces of Lego might fit into the shape, and then they fill the shape with Lego and find out how close they were.  This also went over very well!  I think I finally have the majority of my class realizing that an estimate does not need to match the actual number :)

All of these centers and photo cards can be purchased in my TPT Store! 







5 comments:

  1. I LOVE LEGO! I have to tell you that I have a full set of Lego Dacta with motors in my grade 6 classroom. I bought them when I was science consultant with our board, and I use them all the time! You are never too old for LEGO!
    I actually stopped by to thank you for linking up with the Blog by Province Linky at http://teachingisagift.blogspot.ca/p/blog-by-province.html. So glad to have more Canadian bloggers on board! Welcome, please spread the word by downloading your province blog button (right click on the province and download image, you can resize and then upload to your sidebar with a link back to the page). I see you are on Twitter too....
    Thanks again! Happy Tuesday!
    Sidney
    Teachingisagift

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Sidney!! I am happy to be linked up! Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog through the Ontario Blog Hop! I am a grade 1/2 teacher but I am also doing inquiry based learning and love it. I love finding other blogs from Ontario Kindie teachers so I can check out all the neat things you're doing!

    I'm your newest follower!

    secondgradealicious.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again! Teaching time is crazy right now, if you are not in testing mode like I am, you are in report card mode, or just plain when is this going to end mode! I wanted to invite you to drop by and enter the GIVEAWAY on my blog right now, just in case you missed it! It's a great 31Gifts organizer tote, I want all my Canadian blogger buddies to get in on the sale too! Jen the teacher sponsoring the party,is one of the first consultants for 31 Gifts in Canada! The prices are awesome...come and check it out!
    Sidney
    Teachingisagift

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog! I'm your newest follower :)

    If you get a chance, hop on over to my blog!

    Jessica @ Wild About Firsties

    ReplyDelete