Monday, 6 August 2012

Back at it...and a writing process visual

I'm back in the game! Planning back to school and wrapping my head around another school year after taking a relaxing break! I'm heading back to full-day kindergarten (JK/SK) in September and I'm really looking forward to it. Also looking forward to someday not having to move my classroom at the end of every school year :) I thought I would share an idea that I modified from Pinterest a while back.... I loved the idea of using seeds/flowers as a visual for the writing process. I found some posters on Pinterest but I decided to make them a little more noticeable by making them 3D (I also changed the wording to suit my needs). It was a huge hit with the class...and their writing process work was fantastic!
It was simple to make and I was really impressed with the final product. The pots were from a dollar store and I cut them in half with scissors. Then I just added an empty seed packet and some artificial flowers, all taped to the insides of the pots. The picture didn't quite catch the whole display. The first sign is for "IDEAS" with a seed packet in the pot. On day one of our introduction to the writing process, students jotted down "seed ideas" on simple graphic organizers to start our process. Day two we selected one of our ideas to "plant" and created rough drafts; writing about our chosen idea. Day three went surprisingly well considering it was our first time with peer-editing. We had talked a lot about how to add details to improve our writing. In groups, students read their work then peer editors wrote simple suggestions on recipe cards that their friends could add to their work (this was very cute!) The final draft was created on day four as our writing "bloomed". Students wrote their good copy on special paper using suggestions from their peers and checked their work with a partner before handing it in. Finally, we celebrated our writing by presenting it to the class. This week-long process was a huge success with my SK/1 class...but I waited until Spring to try it out. I could not have pulled it off in the fall :)

No comments:

Post a Comment